Monday, October 19, 2009

Hello...My Name is Cold

Just over a month ago, we put our window units in storage. The weather was mild and comfortable, and we left our windows open except for a few chilly nights. Last weekend, on our aforementioned date, I wore a halter sundress and sandals and we enjoyed a beautiful evening dining al fresco. This past weekend, I wore fleece socks, long underwear, gloves, and two layers of jackets and stayed indoors as much as possible. Where did our beautiful fall weather go?

Oh. That's right, we live in the north now. So long to mild winters; we're about to really experience what the word "cold" means! And while I am thrilled about bundling up and experiencing true cold weather, this sudden change (and the lack of sufficient heat in our apartment) has been a bit drastic for me and has put a damper on some of my excitement. Good thing my food calendar provides for a nice bowl of warm soup every Monday so we can say "nice to meet you" to our new acquaintance, Cold.


Chicken Corn Soup

1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 Vidalia onion, finely chopped
3-4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
2 cups chicken broth
2 cans cream of chicken soup
4 oz pepper jack cheese, grated
16 oz. frozen kernel corn
1 can creamed corn
1 can original Rotel with chilies
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
1 tablespoon sherry (optional)

In a medium stock pot, place the chicken breasts, chicken broth and enough water to cover the chicken. Simmer for about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small saute pan, melt the butter and saute the garlic and onion until soft. Set aside.

Remove the cooked chicken to a plate to cool. Measure out two cups of chicken broth to return to the stock pot; discard the rest (or save for a later use). Add the sauteed vegetables, cream of chicken soup, and the remainder of the ingredients to the stock pot. Shred the chicken and add to the pot. Bring to a simmer, and then reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring often, for 30 minutes, being careful not to let it burn. Serve with crusty bread and a salad.

Pin It!

4 comments :

Diana said...

Dorothy, this looks so YUMMY! I will certainly be trying this soon!! I love to read all of your recipes...especially those involving baking!! I'd be 500 pounds if I baked much of that because I would eat it all myself, so I like to drool over all of it through you. :)

megan said...

Wow this looks good. It's gotten cold here all of a sudden as well, and I've been making soup once a week! I'm always looking for new soup recipes, so thanks!

Dorothy at Belle of the Kitchen said...

Diana, It is so great to see you on here! I know what you mean about baking--I love it! Almost everything we bake goes into the freezer; I wrap brownies and cookies individually for lunch desserts, and freeze muffins and breakfast breads (pre-sliced). My husband to pulls one slice out each day for breakfast! I guess it makes things not quite so accessable for nibbling!

Megan, enjoy!!!

Sarah Barry said...

Making this soup right now. I'm really looking forward to it! Also, I love your freezing tips in your comment above. You should blog about those. I find them so helpful and a great way to ration your breads and desserts.