Saturday, March 16, 2013

A Year in Review...and Smoky Chicken Chili


I know that I cannot include every bit of my past year on these pages here, but I do want to share a glimpse of that year between graduation and this new phase. 

Our traditional summer trip to the gulf followed my graduation.  That trip, though a welcome respite, was overshadowed by job applications, transcript requests and updated résumés.  My husband had a final year of seminary, and I was the designated (and slightly reluctant) primary breadwinner while he finished. 

At the end of my second month of searching, I was interviewed by a preschool and day care facility director.  She assured me that working with two-year-olds would be in many ways very similar to my previous experience working with middle schoolers.  Assured by her confidence that I could handle the job, I accepted.  And so began one of the most challenging and humbling years of my life.  




My position was as assistant teacher, which translated to changing diapers, assisting toileting, monitoring sink usage, wiping runny noses, staffing the “thinking chair,” disinfecting tables, sweeping floors, etc.  The calmest time of my day was, of course, naptime, but contrary to popular belief, even naptime could be distressing if one of my 12 lambs refused to nap or woke up fussy.  Two-year olds can push your buttons faster than all get out, but they can be incredibly sweet, too.  Despite how difficult the job was, I love those little ones and find myself wondering how they are doing these days.  I learned so much and I hope that I will be just a little more prepared, should we be blessed with little lambs of our own.

While my year with the two-year olds was anything but restful, this year has come with fits and starts.  I am enjoying the busy times, while cherishing the quiet, restful days, knowing that they will not always be so abundant.  Today was one of those days.  A late winter snowy mix has kept us indoors, and we’re not complaining.  It was a perfect day to enjoy some warming smoky chicken chili, before spring brings its lighter fare.  




Smoky Chicken Chili

Adapted from Southern Living

2 poblano chile peppers, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 large Vidalia onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 10 ounce can tomatoes with green chilies
5-6 cups shredded smoked chicken
1 15 ounce can navy beans, drained
1 15 ounce can black beans, drained
1 quart chicken broth
1 pound frozen whole-kernel corn
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons hot Mexican chili powder
1 teaspoon chipotle chili
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon white pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne

In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.  Add the chilies, pepper, and onion and sauté for 7 minutes.  Add the garlic and sauté for one more minute. Add the two cans of tomatoes, chicken, beans, corn, broth and spices.*  Bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and cook for 1 ½ hours. 

Serve with cheese, sour cream, lime wedges, sliced green onions, and corn bread.

*Chili can be prepared up to this point in advance, transferred to a crock-pot and cooked on low for 8-10 hours, or refrigerated and finished later.     




Pin It!

13 comments :

Meg Jones | The Spatularettes said...

Such a perfect recipe for this time of year!

I look out the window, and the sunshine tells me its spring. I step outside and the cold tells me its definitely still winter.

Six Sisters said...

This recipe looks delicious. Do you know the nutritional values? If you post it on www.myrecipemagic.com they will calculate it for you and you can get paid for posting recipes.

Missing My Ladybug said...

Looks yummy . I will try it .

Digital Marketing said...

Excellent information, I like your post.

Best Prepared Meal Delivery Service in Ontario

Best Food Delivery Service in Perris

Best Food Delivery Service in Redlands

Emma Devis said...

Thanks for the recipe. I'll take a note.

lisal said...

The chief capabilities associated with a home seem to be to help you keep, prepare yourself and additionally make meals diet and additionally to try and do corresponding projects just like dishwashing.kohler engine troubleshooting no spark

lisal said...

An important functions of your kitchen are to store, prepare and cook food and to perform related tasks including dishwashing.farberware pressure cooker instructions

lisal said...

This is a really cool post. I love this kitchen. It is completely the style that would fit me.samsung refrigerator ice maker t dumping ice

fox said...

This is a truly cool post. I love this kitchen. Totally the style would fit me.farberware pressure cooker instructions

John said...

I love this recipe! Thanks!

Amelia Miller said...

Super delicious recipe! It was really tasty! I will make it again and again.

Chef John said...

A very fine recipe. Super quick, easy and delicious!

96in app said...

The 96in app offers sports enthusiasts a convenient platform to stay updated on live scores, news, and betting options for their favorite sports events.

ludo satta king combines the timeless fun of Ludo with the thrilling unpredictability of Satta, offering players an exciting gaming experience.

teen patti raj provides a digital platform for players to enjoy the classic Indian card game Teen Patti with friends and opponents from around the world.