Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Knock, knock, is anybody there? Plus, Whole Wheat, Oatmeal and Fruit Muffins


After a long summer hiatus, a good and challenging few months at home in the South, we have returned to our home up North and are now in the midst of the fall semester.  I cannot believe that I let so much time go by, but rather than give excuses or all the details of the summer, I'm just going to settle back into what we're doing (and eating) now. 

Although we miss being home with our family and friends who are there, we are happy to be back in "our own space" and schedule.  It is so good to see friends from school and church here after the summer, too!  However, we didn't have much time to make that transition and before we knew it, school was in full swing. 


My husband is taking an incredibly full load this semester, so my job is to make sure he is well-fed and has what he needs to function.  Tough job, no?  Well, add on top of that my own classes, and it is a little more than I had expected.  So far, neither of us have gone without a meal nor have we missed an assignment, so I would say we're doing okay. 

One thing my husband has learned this semester is the wonder of oatmeal.  He had only ever tasted the sugary instant oats from a packet, and had never really cared much for those.  So when I made several days worth of banana raisin oats, he was wowed and won over, and has even learned how to make them himself!  I've come in the kitchen the past few mornings to see all of the ingredients lined up next to the stove, ready to be thrown together for a quick and delicious breakfast. 

He'll have a little surprise tomorrow morning, though.  Today, I made him an equally hearty, yummy, grab-and-go breakfast to help him through his long days of studying!  These are perfect for a school morning.  Even if they are frozen, all that is needed is a short time in the microwave or in the toaster for a quick, healthy breakfast. 


Whole Wheat, Oatmeal and Fruit Muffins

adapted from Cooking Light

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons wheat germ
2 tablespoons wheat bran
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup chopped dried fruit (the original recipe calls for raisins, cranberries and dates)
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup boiling water

In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, the oats, and the dried fruit.  In a small bowl, lightly whisk the buttermilk, oil, vanilla and egg.  Add to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.  Stir in the boiling water and let the batter sit for 15 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. 

Divide the batter between 12 lined or greased muffin cups.  Bake for 20 minutes, rotating the pan half way through.  Cool the muffins on a rack. 


Pin It!

4 comments :

TheCreativeMrsK said...

So glad you're back!! Miss you guys... can't wait to try the recipes! I just made muffins this past week for the hubby... ;) Will be praying for your semester!

Anonymous said...

YEAH!! The Belle is back!

Sense of Home Kitchen said...

This sounds delicious, I love this sort of thing for breakfast. Plus I love the "print friendly" feature, how do you add that?

-Brenda

Dorothy at Belle of the Kitchen said...

Hey Brenda, to make the "print friendly" button, I create a new document with the recipe using google docs. I publish it as a web page and google gives me a web address for it, then I link that to my blog post. Hope this helps!