Saturday, June 5, 2010

Creativity with a Bulk Bag of Limes: Cherry Lime Bread


Being both at home (in the south, at my parents' house) and away from home, means that some things are incredibly comfortable, but there are some things that I will have to get used to (again).  Well, I have been back home for about two weeks now.  In that span of time, I have gone with (or on behalf of) my parents to Costco twice, and Sams Club once.  Add another trip to Costco that my parents took without me, and you have a bunch of bulk buying.  And considering that at any given time within this short stint of time home there has been a maximum of five people at my parents' house, much of that bulk buying is a little in excess.  But sometimes my dad cannot help himself; he just has to have that giant bag of limes. 

So that leaves me trying to come up with good uses for all of these limes (or peppers, or mushrooms), before they all go bad!  We've had lime bars, mojitos, gingerale with mint and lime, coconut banana bread with lime glaze, sweet tea with lime, greek yogurt with fruit and a squeeze of lime, and more.  My latest endeavor is a bit experimental (as many of these have been), but I think that it turned out pretty well.  Should you find yourself with an excess of limes, I think you should try it too!


Cherry Lime Bread

1 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
zest of one lime
3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
6 tablespoons butter, melted
2 whole eggs, beaten
1/4 cup lime juice
1/2 cup dried cherries, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons wheat germ

In a small bowl, stir together the lime juice and dried cherries.  Let the cherries soak for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Butter and flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. 

In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, soda, salt, and lime zest.  In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, butter, eggs, and the cherry/lime mixture until well combined.  Add to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. 

Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.  In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and wheat germ.  Sprinkle over the top of the batter.  Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a tester comes out clean. 

Print Friendly
Pin It!

8 comments :

the country cook said...

Very intriguing - does it taste like a cherry limeade? - www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

Amy said...

Yum. I love cherry limeade and bread, so this should definitely work for me!

Julie M. said...

I love cherry and lime together. I'll bet this is delicious! You came up with some pretty creative uses for your limes. Some of them sound downright delicious!

Unknown said...

Great flavor combination! I am going to have to give it a try.

DessertForTwo said...

This reminds me of a Sonic Cherry Limeade! Your bread always looks so perfect and delicious!

grace said...

like everyone else, i love a cherry limeade so i think this bread is masterful. the brown sugar and wheat germ topping is unique and looks awesome! yes, one could do worse than to have an excess of limes. :)

Dorothy at Belle of the Kitchen said...

Hey all, I stopped off on my way to the beach and picked up a cherry limeade...it had been forever since I had enjoyed that treat! This bread is more like a limeade studded with cherries, as the cherry flavor doesn't permeate the entire loaf.
I will say this; I made two loaves and my husband has devoured the first loaf entirely already!

LaChelle @ SugarDuchess said...

Love your blog! Cherry lime has to be one of the greatest combos out there. YUM! I'll have to try this :)