Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Redeeming Myself


Yesterday, we spent the most glorious couple of hours outside.  My husband and I went to a little lunch restaurant with sidewalk cafe-style seating, and shared stories with some new friends. 

I had an idea that we were going to this little bistro, Anne's Kitchen Table.  Being the food-lover that I am, I scouted out the well-appointed menu online beforehand.  I tried to decide on the most delectable treat on the menu that would not leave me with regrets and heaviness afterward.  I decided on a salad, and had confirmation on the deliciousness of said salad from the raving reviews of a friend.  My goal was to enjoy myself, but to be good simultaneously. 


Well, you know what happened.  We arrived at the cafe, sat basking in the sun, and my good intentions went out the nonexistent window.  The scrumptious and cheese laden paninis drew my attention, and I almost surprised myself when I exclaimed "I'll have the chicken caprese panini, please!"  It was delectable.  I won't discuss my regrets.

So, I'm going to try to redeem myself today with a delicious and perfect-for-spring salad.  The tart apples and unexpected radishes give the long awaited crunch of crispness that is missing in the comfort food of winter.  It is delectable, and you won't have any regrets. 


Apple, Walnut, and Gorgonzola Salad

For the Lemon Poppyseed dressing

2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 tablespoon poppyseeds
zest of 1/2 lemon

In a blender, combine the honey, lemon juice, mustard and salt.  Pulse until well combined.  With the motor running, add the olive oil in a steady stream, until the dressing is emulsified.  Add the poppyseeds and zest, pulse once or twice to incorporate.

For the Salad:

6 cups spring baby greens
3 tablespoons lemon poppyseed dressing
5-6 radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 apple, cut into thin matchsticks
1/3 cup glazed walnuts
1/3 cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled

In a large bowl, toss the baby greens with the dressing and about three-fourths of the radishes, apple, walnuts and cheese.  Arrange the rest on the top of the salad.  Drizzle a little dressing over the top.

Pin It!

4 comments :

Sarah Barry said...

Dorothy, beautiful photos. Both the salad and the spring soup look wonderful. I'm very inspired.

Sprad-Rad said...

I was looking at your post this morning, and my friend said, "Is that the Pioneer Woman?" I said, "No, it's my sister-in-law's blog!" I just thought you would want to know you are on the same level as the Pioneer Woman. :)

Tanya said...

This looks more delicious than anything I've seen on "any other food blog"!! I'm making it for lunch tomorrow, thanks for sharing

Cate said...

Hi, I just found your blog. This salad looks delicious. I had a similarish one in California a few years ago but with pears, nuts and blue cheese. Think it might have had some citrus in it as well. How do you toast your nuts. I am living in England and they just don't really do this type of salad yet.